About Pitt County
Pitt County, which is located in the central Coastal Plain, is bounded on the north by Martin and Edgecombe counties; on the east by Beaufort County; on the south by Craven and Lenoir counties; and on the west by Greene and Wilson counties. Its area is 650 square miles. Many of the boundary lines are irregular, following stream courses.
The elevation of Greenville, which is the approximate geographical center of the county, is 64 feet. The county's highest point (126.4 feet above sea level) is in the northwest portion of the county.
Pitt County, named after British Prime Minister William Pitt, was formed in 1760 from Beaufort County and Martinsborough was named the county seat. It was renamed Greensville in 1787 in honor of Nathanael Greene and the spelling was later changed to Greenville. Originally inhabited by Native Americans of the Tuscarora tribe, the region was settled by mostly English immigrants.
East Carolina University and Pitt Community College are located in the county.