About Jones County
Jones County, which is located in the eastern part of North Carolina, is bounded on the north by Craven County; on the west by Lenoir and Duplin counties; on the south by Onslow and Carteret counties; and on the east by Craven County. Its area comprises 469 square miles (300,160 acres). The elevation of Jones County ranges from 28 feet in the eastern section to 51 feet in the western reaches of the county.
Jones County, named in honor of Revolutionary leader William Jones of Halifax, the president of the local Council of Safety, was formed in 1779 out of Craven County. Trenton is the county seat and was named for the river it was built on, the Trent River. Native Americans of the Tuscarora and Waccamau tribes originally inhabited the region. The early European settlers of the county were primarily Swiss, German, and English.
The Battle of Wyse Fork, fought in March of 1865 in the northwestern corner of Jones County, was the second largest battle fought on North Carolina soil during the Civil War.