About Craven County
Craven County, which is located in eastern North Carolina, is bounded on the north by Beaufort and Pitt counties; on the west by Lenoir County; on the south by Jones and Carteret counties; and on the east by Pamlico and Carteret counties. The area is 699 square miles (447,360 acres). The elevation ranges from 15 feet at New Bern to nearly 63 feet at Dover, which is in the extreme western part of the county.
Craven County, originally named Archdale, was formed in 1705. The name changed in 1712. The county was named for Lord Proprietor William, Lord Craven. Native Americans of the Tuscarora tribe originally inhabited the region. German, Swiss, and English colonists settled the area. The county seat was initially Chattoocka, but in 1723 it was moved to New Bern, which remains the county seat to this day. New Bern, located at the confluence of the Neuse and Trent rivers, was important in the 18th Century because it was the capitol of North Carolina, as well as one of its most populous cities.
Tyron Palace, the reconstructed home of the colonial governor of North Carolina during the 1770s, Cherry Point Marine Corps Naval Air Station, and part of Croatan National Forest are all located in the county.