Access to articles in regional publications that pertain to a wide range of North Carolina-related topics.

The Confederate States Navy Yard at Charlotte, N.C., 1862-1865


Abstract:
An iron marker now sits at the site of the Confederate Navy Yard in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Navy Yard operated from spring of 1862 until 1865. Commanded by first by General R.L. Page and later by H. Ashton Ramsay, a number of large structures were erected on site, including a gun carriage shop, a laboratory, a torpedo shop, a forge where propeller shafting was forged for all the Confederate ironclads. Rifles, shot, shells, and torpedoes were also manufactured at the Navy Yard in Charlotte.
Record #:
22561