M. H. P. Panhorst Papers

1894-1895, 1970
The Country Doctor Museum Manuscript Collection, CD 01.87
Creator(s)
Panhorst, Mari Hendrick Phillip
Physical description
0.06 Cubic Feet
Preferred Citation
M.H.P. Panhorst Papers (CD 01.87), The Country Doctor Museum, at The William E. Laupus Health Sciences Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Repository
Laupus Library History Collections
Access
No restrictions

One certificate of stock in the East Tennessee Medicine Company issued to M. H. P. Panhorst, two lecture invitations at the Tennessee Medical College issued to M. H. P. Panhorst, and three pages of correspondence regarding Panhorst written by Paul M. Fink.


Biographical/historical information

Mari Hendrick Phillip Panhorst was born 27 December 1847 to George Phillip and Maria (Luli) Panhorst in Amsterdam, Netherlands, and died 23 April 1932 in Johnson City, Tennessee. He trained as a physician in Amsterdam before moving to Galesburg, Illinois in 1866. After he married Katherine Simpson in 1876, they moved to her hometown of Jonesborough, Tennessee. The couple would have four children together: George M., Ethel H., Anna M., and Daisy B. (Laird). Panhorst became a naturalized U. S. citizen on 6 February 1879. In 1890, he started East Tennessee Medicine Company, which produced indegestion powders, cough syrups, and other medicines. On 18 November 1890, Panhorst transferred the rights to make and sell medicines to the company in exchange for 25 shares in capital stock and he remained president of the company. After initial success, the company took a turn for the worse. On 10 March 1894, Theodore B. Hacker became the company owner because Panhorst borrowed money for the company, and it could not meet financial obligations to repay the loan. The company was put up for auction, but no bidder had $1,200 plus interest in cash to buy the company and pay off the loan. The company was moved to Johnson City, Tennessee and in 1901, Lewis W. Cass and Joseph Worley Cass bought it for $6,000. East Tennessee Medicine Company would last until 1924 when it officially closed its doors.


Scope and arrangement

One certificate of stock in the East Tennessee Medicine Company issued to M. H. P. Panhorst, two lecture invitations at the Tennessee Medical College issued to M. H. P. Panhorst, and a letter from Paul M. Fink regarding M. H. P. Panhorst.


Administrative information
Custodial History

1970: 1 stock certificate, 2 lecture cards, and 3 pages of correspondence. Gift of Paul M. Fink, Jonesborough, T.N.

Source of acquisition

Gift of Paul M. Fink

Processing information

Processed by Marlena Barber, 2015

Copyright notice

Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.


Language of material

English

Container list
Box 1 Folder 1 2 lecture cards and 1 stock certificate, 1894-1895
Box 1 Folder 2 Correspondence, 1970