Medical School Catalogs

1878-1881
The Country Doctor Museum Manuscript Collection, CD 01.77
Creator(s)
The Country Doctor Museum
Physical description
0.06 Cubic Feet
Preferred Citation
Meidical School Catalogs (CD 01.77), The Country Doctor Museum, at The William E. Laupus Health Sciences Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA
Repository
Laupus Library History Collections
Access
No restrictions

This collection contains medical school catalogues for the 1878-1879 Jefferson Medical College, and the 1881 College of Physicians and Surgeons.


Biographical/historical information

Located in Philadelphia, the Jefferson Medical College emphasized studies on post mortems, laboratory instruction, and had a syphilitic ward. It started in 1825 as the medical department of Jefferson College. In 1838, it received a separate charter from the state to become Jefferson Medical College. It changed names in 1969 to become the Thomas Jefferson University. In 2014, the name changed again to the Sidney Kimmel Medical College due to a $110 million donation from Sidney Kimmel.

The College of Physicians and Surgeons, located in Baltimore focused on women's health, predominately gynecology and lying-in asylums. It was the first medical school to institute a residency training program. The college merged with the University of Maryland School of Medicine in 1915.


Scope and arrangement

This collection contains medical school catalogues for the 1878-1879 Jefferson Medical College, and the 1881 College of Physicians and Surgeons. Both catalogues are textual though artistic renditions of each school are included within the pages. Directed towards incoming students, each catalogue focused on the achievements of the respective schools, including the class structures, student achievements, scholarships, and alumni accomplishments and theses.


Administrative information
Custodial History

Donor information unknown

Source of acquisition

Donor information unknown

Processing information

Processed by Kaitlin Clothier, 2015

Copyright notice

Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.


Language of material

English