East Carolina Teachers Training School opened in 1909 with eleven faculty members.
President Wright asked for a discussion of the course of study with view to the adjustment of the work to meet the demands of the present enrollment of the school.
In 1935, under President Meadows, the faculty relied on the faculty to assume multitudinous duties involved in running the college by creating a committee system. Standing committee of the faculty went from four under President Wright to twenty-nine under President Meadows. By the 1950s, the faculty had grown so large that faculty meetings were no longer an efficient method of governing the college and the faculty had fewer and fewer responsibilities. That changed under President Jenkins tenure beginning in 1960. By 1964, President Jenkins, reconizing that the "faculty meetings have grown so large that they almost preclude the judcious treatment of the real problems of this college," invited the faculty to investigate the possibility of establishing a Faculty Senate. The first Faculty Senate meeting was held in March 1965 (see UA04.02.)