Dr. Henderson Irwin was born on 13 June 1884 in Charlotte, North Carolina and died in Wilson, North Carolina on 19 July 1958. On 30 December 1925 he married Eloise Farrior (1896-1990) in Goldsboro, North Carolina and they had a daughter Nancy. He received a B.S. in 1906 from Davidson College, a M.A. in 1910 from the University of Virginia, and an M.D. in 1911 from the University of Maryland. After graduating, Irwin did his residency from 1911 to 1914 at the University Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, and then went on to practice general medicine in Eureka, North Carolina from 1913 to 1958. His practice grew to extend over a cosiderable territory in parts of Wayne, Wilson, and Greene counties. He helped establish the Wayne County Health Clinic (North Carolina) and the Wayne County Board of Health.
Dr. John Robinson Irwin was the father of Dr. Henderson Irwin. He was born on 30 December 1853 in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina and died on 28 June 1931 in Charlotte, North Carolina. He practiced medicine in Mecklenburg County for 54 years.