Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church Records, 1882-2000

Manuscript Collection #1273

  • Descriptive Summary
     
    Title: Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church Records
    Creator: Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church.
    Repository: ECU Manuscript Collection
    Language: English
    Abstract: This collection includes a ledger book containing records (August 1882-December 1996) of the Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church located at the intersection of Fourteenth Street and Fire Tower Road in Greenville, North Carolina. The church was founded in 1758, but the present building was built in 1893. Included are minutes of the Conference meetings (1882-1996) which also mention when members join or leave or die, lists of some of the members with identifying information related to membership status, and loose papers. Also included are a treasurer’s book (1964-2000) and a minutes book (1990-2000).
    Extent: 0.548 Cubic feet, 2 archival boxes, consisting of minutes, membership records, correspondence, and publications
  • Description
     

    This collection consists of a ledger book detailing church meeting minutes (1882-1996), a treasurer’s book (1964-2000), and miscellaneous loose papers.

    The Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church ledger book contains church meeting minutes (1882-1996). Monthly, quarterly, and yearly meetings are detailed within the ledger. The minutes detail meetings within the church and discuss meetings with sister churches in the surrounding area. Membership status, baptisms, the ordination of ministers, and deaths of members are also listed. Obituaries for members that passed away are written in the back of the ledger.

    The meeting minutes from 1888-1910 detail several instances in which church members were excluded from the congregation for non-attendance, non-belief, drinking, joining secret orders, and disorder. Some members sought forgiveness and were allowed back into the congregation.

    A treasurer’s book (1964-2000) details the expenses of the church. Insurance and utilities bills are the primary expenses for the church; billing statements and bank statements are included. Contributions to the church are also detailed in the treasurer’s book.

    Miscellaneous loose papers were found inside the church ledger. These papers include a church member list, obituaries, letters, and a copy of the church covenant. One letter details withdrawal by several churches from the Contentnea Union (1981). A disagreement about allowing Brother Milton Lupton to preach led to the departure of the Red Banks and Hancock’s church from the Contentnea Union (1996).

  • Biographical / Historical Note
     

    Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church, located at the intersection of Fourteenth Street and Fire Tower Road in Greenville, North Carolina, was founded in 1758. The building from which worship is now held was built in 1893 and is currently on the list of the National Registration of Historical Places; it was the fourth building to house the congregation.

    Many Baptist churches were built throughout the eighteenth century in Pitt County, North Carolina. In 1827 a split occurred in the Baptist church between believers in predestination and those that believed that you could be saved by good deeds. The Kehukee Association, of which Red Banks church was a member, sided with the Primitive Baptists, who believed in predestination. Strict rules within the church led to a decline in church membership through the twentieth century. Red Banks church left the Association after a disagreement within the churches about allowing Brother Milton Lupton to preach. The remaining members of the church donated the land and church to the Pitt County Historical society in 1999.

    Source: National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/nr/PT0049.pdf

  • Administrative Information
     
    Accessions Information

    July 19, 2016, 0.5 cubic feet; This collection includes a ledger book containing records (August 1882-December 1996) of the Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church located at the intersection of Fourteenth Street and Fire Tower Road in Greenville, North Carolina. The church was founded in 1758, but the present building was built in 1893. Included are the Church Covenant adopted December 24, 1791, the Rules of Conference adopted February 11, 1792, minutes of the Conference meetings (1882-1996) which also mention when members join or leave or die, lists of some of the members with identifying information related to membership status, and loose papers. Also included are two issues of Zion’s Landmark (December 15, 1913, and April 15, 1916). Gift of Janelle Vanhorne.

    January 6, 2017, (addition 1), 0.048 cubic feet; Includes a treasurer’s book (1964-2000) and a minutes book (1990-2000) for Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church, Greenville, N.C. Gift of William B. Kittrell.

    Acquisition Information

    Gift of Janelle Vanhorne
    Gift of William B. Kittrell

    Access Restrictions

    No restrictions

    Copyright Notice

    Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.

    Preferred Citation

    Red Banks Primitive Baptist Church Records (#1273), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA

    Processing Information

    Processing of the collection was completed on 7-25-2017 by Tyler Caldwell

This page is only for requesting materials that you wish to view in person in the Reading Room at Joyner Library. It does not permit you to view the materials online or to request their photoduplication. If you would like to request materials for photoduplication, please visit our Copying and Permissions page.

Use the checkboxes to select the boxes/folders you would like to view, then click continue at the bottom of the page.



Request this Collection