Records (1950-2007) of Greenville Industries, including by-laws, certificate of incorporation, board minutes, correspondence, contracts, deeds, and blueprints, and of longtime board member and president Charles O'Hagan Horne, Jr. (1970-2000), including correspondence, financial records, blueprints, maps, and reports. Greenville Industries was a for-profit corporation founded to sell land at reduced rates to industries to encourage them to set up businesses in Pitt County, North Carolina.
Greenville Industries was incorporated December 29, 1950, by eight Greenville, North Carolina, businessmen as a for-profit land-holding company that sold real estate at a reduced price to new or expanding industries to encourage them to view Pitt County as a good place to set up business. The point was to diversify an economy that had previously been mainly agricultural. During the 1960s and 1970s, such companies as Empire Brushes, Vermont American, Burroughs Wellcome, Fieldcrest Mills, National Boat Works (Grady-White) and Eaton Corporation (NACCO Materials Handling) came to Pitt County as a result of Greenville Industries. In the late 1980s and the 1990s, Greenville Industries started developing what became Indigreen Corporate Park. The assets of the Greenville Industries, Inc., were acquired by the Pitt County Committee of 100 in 2008.
The records consist of five series: Maps and Blueprints; Correspondence; Meetings and Events; Publications and Projects; and Financial and Legal Materials. The documents provide information on Greenville Industries; a company that sold real estate to new or growing industries allowing the expansion and the change of Pitt County's economy from an agricultural economy to a more urban one.
Series One: Maps and Blueprints (1959-2000, undated) document tracts of land located in Greenville, N.C., and Pitt County. These maps and blueprints show the location of Greenville Industries and other businesses that were established in Pitt County. Also, there are maps and blueprints featuring acquired properties with particular landmarks and instructions on how the land should be changed. Also, among the material are aerial maps of unmarked land.
Series Two: Correspondence (1950-2005, undated) that includes notes provides details of the history of Greenville Industries, the company's business deals, and properties. Letters from and to Charles O'Hagan Horne, Jr., President of Greenville Industries are among the correspondence. There are also letters from and to attorneys concerning easements on certain properties and land purchases. Reports on property development projects are also included.
Series Three: Meetings and Events include the minutes from the Greenville Industries' Board of Directors meetings and Shareholders meetings (1950-2007). Agendas and event material are also part of this series along with a set of keys with no accompaning information.
Series Four: Publications and Project documents (1960-1999, undated) are also contained in the records. The publications are related to development of areas in and around Greenville, N.C., and Pitt County. These publications include newsletters, press releases, and newspaper clippings. The project documents consist of proposals and reports and contracts, which also concern the developing areas in and around Greenville, N.C., and Pitt County. Of particular note are the documents that explain the by-laws for Greenville Industries and industry service standards for water and sewer services.
Series Five: Financial and legal material (1950-2006, undated) illustrate the daily operations of Greenville Industries. The bulk of the material consists of financial statements that provide information on the company's finances. There are also proposals, shareholder information, deeds, and certificates of incorporation as well as cost estimates, invoices, notes, contracts, applications, and directories.
Gift of Wanda E. Yuhas as executive director of the Pitt County Development Commission
Processing completed May 24, 2017, by Nanette Hardison
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.