Papers (1884-1912) consisting of correspondence and pamphlet
Hugh A. Tudor was an English missionary priest who was associated with the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts, Diocese of St. John's Kaffraria, Griqualand East Parish, South Africa. The SPG was established in 1701 as a way to spread Christianity in the American colonies. The SPG quickly grew and began sending missionaries to other countries. In 1821, the SPG made its way into South Africa, where Tudor was stationed in 1884.
The bulk of the collection consists of correspondence (1884-97) by Tudor describing his work as a missionary in South Africa. Contained in the correspondence is a letter (9/12/1884) written aboard a ship lying off Moville-Londonderry, Ireland, en route to South Africa from Liverpool, England. Also mentioned are a visit to Qangu, South Africa (1/17/1895), comparisons of Kaffir services and "White" services (1/17/1895), various problems within congregations, fees natives must pay for religious purposes, mixed marriages, polygamy, and witchcraft (6/4/1895), the blame of "White men" for agricultural problems (11/12/1896), and the expansion of new churches.
Also contained in the collection is a pamphlet, "Historical Sketches: St. John's, Kaffraria" (1912), that describes the native peoples of the diocese, early missionary work prior to 1873 and the history of Church of England missionaries, from 1873-1911.
Purchase (Special Collections Fund), Maggs Bros. Ltd., London, England
Encoded by Jonathan Dembo, November 05, 2009
Processed by David Miller 2009
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.