The Church building predates the Civil War, however, there is no concrete information regarding when it was built. It is one of the earliest preaching points of Universalism in North Carolina. The Free Will Baptists claimed the old church in the late 1800s without dispute because the county records were destroyed by fire. In December 1898, William and Delia A. Stroud gave the deed for Woodington Universalist Church. In a 2007 email correspondence to Keats Sparrow, Carol Simmons noted due to damage to the building, Phoebe Harper donated the building to someone near Joe Williams Road, near the Jones County line. They cut the building apart and planned to restore it for family use, but it burned several years before 2007.
The collection contains correspondences, photographs, and documents relating to Woodington Universalist. There are two photographs showing two different sides of the Church building. The collection also contains excerpts about the church from Rev. Hope Bain's diary which was included in "Mr. Wms'" book. There is also a photoscanned copy of the 1898 deed given to the church from William and Delia A. Stroud, as well as a 1946 newspaper article written by Rev. Thomas Turell sending condolences to J.E. Rouse for the death of her husband Ed Rouse.
Gift of Dr. W. Keats Sparrow
Encoded by Lindsay Flood, March 28, 2008
Processed by Aleck Tan, February 2020
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.