St. Thomas Parish was formed after Bath County was established in 1696. Around 1701, a small group began holding services in local homes. The vestry and church wardens began building the St. Thomas Episcopal Church, located in Bath, NC, around 1734 and finished it many years later. In 1840 during a storm, the roof and the interior were damaged. New furniture and fixtures were installed, reflecting the Victorian era. In 1939, the building underwent restorations. Today, the church is the oldest church building in the state.
The collection is a photographic print of a church altar (c.1910) captioned "St. Thomas Episcopal Church, built in 1734, at Bath, N.C., 1705," with "Historical Sketch" of the church, by J.N.B. printed on the verso.
Encoded by Mark Custer, March 24, 2008
Processed by Aleck Tan, February 2020
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.