Photographs (May 1909; August 1914) of the 1909 Goldsboro High School senior class and of the 1914 East Singing Class related to Goldsboro, North Carolina.
The building housing the Goldsboro High School actually began life as the Wayne Female College (1854-1862), served as a hospital during the Civil War, and reopened as the Goldsboro Female College in 1868. It became known as "Goldsboro High School" for both boys and girls in 1874. In 1881, it housed the first Goldsboro Public School. A smaller building was built on either side to house the elementary grades in 1903. It continued in use until 1915 as the high school, when a new high school building was constructed on the corner of William and Vine Streets. The "Middle Building," as it had become known since 1903, was then used as a junior high school until 1927 when it was declared unsafe for use, torn down, and carted away.
Source: Johnson, Bob & Norwood, Charles S., editors. History of Wayne County, North Carolina : a collection of historical stories created by the Heritage Committee on the Bicentennial Commission and published in Goldsboro News-Argus, April 6, 1975-July 4, 1976. Goldsboro: Wayne County Historical Association, 1979.
The Goldsboro High School Collection contains three photographs. The photographs (May 1909; August 1914) feature the 1909 Goldsboro High School senior class, the school's 1914 East Singing Class with faculty and one without faculty members captioned: "To Ernest from Annye, Eastern Singing Class from Goldsboro, Aug. 20th 1914."
Gift of Dannie B. Wooten
Encoded by Apex Data Services
Processing completed by Leah Turner on December 6, 2017.
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.