Fred and Susan Block Collection

1920, 2003-2006
Manuscript Collection #869
Creator(s)
Physical description
0.003 Cubic Feet
Preferred Citation
Fred and Susan Block Collection (#869), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.
Repository
ECU Manuscript Collection
Access
No restrictions

Little Mothers League for Better Babies group portrait (ca. 1920), Kinston High School, Kinston, North Carolina; and articles (2003, 2006) in The Vineyard, A Publication of Glad Tidings for St. James Parish, Wilmington, NC written by Susan Block related to Adam Empie, an Episcopal minister there in the early 1800s, and a house in Wilmington built in 1799 and razed in 1955.


Administrative information
Custodial History

June 3, 2002 (unprocessed), 3 items, 0.001 cubic feet; Little Mothers League for Better Babies group portrait (ca. 1920), Kinston High School, Photo. by E. D. Sparrow, Kinston, NC. 8x10, black and white photographic print; photocopy of print with handwritten list of individuals in the print on verso; typewritten list of individuals in the print. Donor: Fred and Susan Block.

July 21, 2003 (unprocessed addition 1), 1 item, 0.001 cubic feet; "Adam Empie: That Emphatic Preacher [Part I, 1785-1816]," by Susan Taylor Block in The Vineyard, A Publication of Glad Tidings for St. James Parish, Wilmington, NC (Spring 2003), pp. 1-3, a biographical account of a Protestant Episcopal minister, who served St. James Church in Wilmington, NC, 1811-1814, who served as the first chaplain of the U. S. Military Academy at West Point, NY, 1814-1816. Photocopy typescript. Donor: Fred and Susan Block.

November 27, 2006 (unprocessed addition 2), 1 item, 0.001 cubic feet; Sandwiched in: 11 South Third Street by Susan Taylor Block in The Vineyard, A Publication of Glad Tidings for St. James Parish, Wilmington, NC, (Fall 2006), p. 6, an historical account, ca. 1799-1955, of the house built by North Carolina State Senator, banker, and physician, Dr. John Hill, ca. 1799, and subsequently owned by attorney and banker William Augustus Wright, who was president of the Bank of Cape Fear, and his descendants, ca. 1830-1918; and the Rev. Edward Wooten, an Episcopal missions minister and his descendants, ca. 1918-1952; St. James Episcopal Church owned the property from 1952-1955, when it was razed. Newsletter. Donor: Susan Taylor Block.

Source of acquisition

Gift of Fred & Susan Block

Processing information

Encoded by Apex Data Services

Copyright notice

Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.