Papers (1930) including correspondence, catalog description, letter.
The Neuse Forest, as it was called in official reports, operated from ca. 1926-1933. During this period its primary function was that of an institutional summer school for Wake Forest College (1925-1927) and then for Atlantic Christian College (1928-1933).
The catalog description and correspondence indicate that the school began operation of independent classes in September of 1928 when it became Neuse Forest Junior College. As a junior college it operated a basic two-year curriculum and offered courses such as botany, zoology, English, mathematics, etc. In a letter (May 15, 1930), the acting secretary of the college, Harold Whitehurst, mentions an unsuccessful attempt to associate the college with the UNC system and requests that Columbia University (New York, N.Y.?) take Neuse Forest "under its direction and control by the 'Group Method.'"
Gift of Mrs. Martha G. Elmore
Processed by M. Quintanilla, May 1988
Encoded by Apex Data Services
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.