Collection (1922-1948), including PTA minutes, bulletins, charter and building specifications.
Wahl-Coates School, an elementary school for training teachers, was located on the campus of East Carolina University until 1972 when Wahl-Coates Public School was built on Fifth Street in cooperation between the university and the city of Greenville. Originally established as the Model School in 1922, the institution was renamed the Training School when it moved into a new building in 1928 (now the Messick Theatre Arts Center). In 1959 the school received its present name, Wahl-Coates, created in honor of Miss Dora Coates and Miss Frances Wahl, two former teachers and supervisors of the school during its formative years.
Material in the collection consists of the training school's original specifications for the building contract at East Carolina Teachers College (1927), Model School P.T.A. minutes for 1922-1927, a charter to E.C.T.C. Parent-Teachers Association by the North Carolina Congress of Parents and Teachers (1948), and an original draft and two published copies of East Carolina Teachers College Bulletin, Vol. 30, No. 4, The Training School (December, 1939).
Gift of Wahl-Coates School
Processed by D. Lennon
Encoded by Apex Data Services
Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.