The centennial of the signing of the Declaration of Independence was observed in Philadelphia in 1876. Although many Southern states still felt resentment toward the North following the Civil War, the Ladies Memorial Association of Wake County decided to provide a flag to the celebration. Raising the necessary funds, the women commissioned Reverend Johannes Adam Simon Oertel to design the flag. The front, of which only one known photograph survives, consisted of the allegorical figures of liberty and prosperity in the center bordered by white oak and holly. The back, of which no picture exists, was an emblematic description of the Old North State. Although the flag was displayed until 1943, it has since been misplaced and efforts to locate it have proven futile.