Roanoke Island is synonymous with the Lost Colony of the 1580s. A second colony flourished there during the Civil War. This one was composed of slaves who sought refuge behind the lines of Union soldiers, who occupied a portion of the eastern part of the state. By 1864, ex-slaves on the island numbered 2,700. Freedmen's Colony was a thriving community with churches, schools, and homes. Angione explores the history of this colony and how it is commemorated today.