Date: 1803 |
Identifier: Historic Hope Plantation
In 1818, David Stone owned the largest private library in North Carolina. To house all of his books, Stone had two bookcases built into the walls of the Hope mansion. The cases have cabinets below and cases above. 9-foot doors with glass panes protected the books. The shelves were well preserved when restoration work began in the 1960s and the original plaster behind the shelves still bears the handwriting of Stone who penciled in the titles which friends borrowed. The accompanying video describes the bookcases and Stone's library in more detail. Date approximated. more...