Date: 1735 |
Identifier: Historic Hope Plantation
Silver Spanish "cross" two reales coin. It was clipped from a whole eight reales coin also known as a piece of eight. Minted in Seville, Spain, 1735. One-quarter of the cross recovered from Hobson-Stone House cellar on the Hope site. The Hobson-Stone House was the original plantation house on Hope Plantation and was destroyed around 1800. Excavated in September 2003 by investigators from the University of Kentucky Program for Archeological Research. The video discusses the circumstances around the coins discovery and what it tells about the history of the time and place. more...