Roanoke Island Baptist Church Records, 1888-1995, undated

Manuscript Collection #1129

  • Descriptive Summary
     
    Title: Roanoke Island Baptist Church Records
    Creator: Roanoke Island Baptist Church
    Repository: ECU Manuscript Collection
    Language: English
    Abstract: Records (1888-1995, undated) of Roanoke Island Baptist Church, including copies of deeds and plat, correspondence, church histories, newsletter, and church manuscript record volumes, including minutes of conference minutes, treasurer’s reports, Sunday School treasurer’s reports, Women’s Missionary Society.
    Extent: 0.5 Cubic feet, 21 items , copies of deeds and plat, correspondence, church histories, newsletter, conference minutes, treasurer’s reports
  • Description
     

    The collection contains three ledger books (1888-1933; 1948-1954; 1958-1977) that include an index of names, year of membership, rules of conference, conference minutes, overview of meetings, and letters of member admission and dismissal from the church. Also included are three Treasurer Reports Ledgers (1953-1968; 1959-1964; 1964-1968) containing expense and financial information.

    Other items in the collection are a Women’s Missionary Society Journal (1953-1956) that contains quarterly financial reports and meeting overviews; four copies of deeds (11/24/1926; 7/22/1938; 8/19/1982; 1/9/1991) that outline the Roanoke Island Baptist Church plot of land; correspondence concerning churches receiving pastoral aid from the General Board of the Baptist State Convention (10/20/1937), the resignation of C.C. Perry (2/25/1940), and information regarding Abraham Baum (12/21/1982); printed materials of The Roanoke Island Baptist Record Newsletter (3/26/1944) and a newspaper clipping regarding church construction (1986); a photograph (undated) of children in front of a church accompanied by roster information; a Guest Book used for Homecoming events (1959-1965); and a Spiral Notebook (1956-1957) containing financial information.

  • Biographical / Historical Note
     

    The Roanoke Island Baptist Church began on July 31, 1808, when the Baptist Society of People on Roanoke Island bought one acre of land from Abraham Baum for “the promotion of religion.” The church was a part of Currituck County until the formation of Dare County in 1870. The first church, built in 1809, was burned down by federal troops during the Civil War, and the congregation received compensation forty-five years later from the federal government. A second church erected around 1867, was used as both a church and a school. A third church building resulted from an expansion of the second church, which was built by skilled church members. In an attempt to spread Baptist theology, twenty-one church members were sent to start the Manteo Baptist Church in 1905, and in 1909, fourteen members were sent to start the Nags Head Baptist Church. The Roanoke Island Baptist Church currently operates in Manteo, North Carolina.

    Past pastors include William Askew, P.S.C. Davis, R.B. Collier (?-1890), Reverend Gillelance, Brother Stallings (1900-ca. 1904), Thos. Gideon Wood (1904-ca. 1909), D.A. Tedder (1909-1910), James Howell (1910-ca. 1912), O.N. Marshall (1912-1914), T.J. Ragland (1915-1920), H.B. Hines (1920-1937), C.C. Perry (?-1940), Dr. G.A. Martin (1942-?), Dr. Paul S. Carroll (1980-1988), J. Stephen Crane (1988-1992), John Charles, III (1992-?), Daniel Crisman (?-?), and C.H. Tyler (?-Present).

  • Administrative Information
     
    Accessions Information

    July 3, 2008, 21 items, 0.50 cubic feet; Records (1888-1995, undated) of Roanoke Island Baptist Church, including copies of deeds and plat, correspondence, church histories, newsletter, and church manuscript record volumes, including minutes of conference minutes, treasurer?s reports, Sunday School treasurer?s reports, Women?s Missionary Society, etc. See preliminary inventory attached. Donor: Brenda Outlaw

    Acquisition Information

    Gift of Brenda Outlaw

    Access Restrictions

    No restrictions

    Copyright Notice

    Literary rights to specific documents are retained by the authors or their descendants in accordance with U.S. copyright law.

    Preferred Citation

    Roanoke Island Baptist Church Records (#1129), East Carolina Manuscript Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA.

    Processing Information

    Encoded by Mark Custer, July 28, 2008

    Processed by David Miller 2009

Container List

  • Box 1
     
    Correspondence (10/20/1937) regarding churches receiving pastoral aid from the General Board of the Baptist State Convention; (2/25/1940) resignation letter from C.C. Perry; and a brief biographical sketch (12/21/1982) of Abraham Baum accompanied by a copy of an 1808 Deed of Sale. 3 Items.
    History (ca. 1988; ca. 1995) 2 Items.
    Copy of Deed (11/24/1926) for property sold by C.P. Midgett to C.R. Evans showing a one acre plot of land owned by North End Baptist Church; a Certifified Copy of Deed (7/22/1938) of C.P. Midgett and wife to C.R. Evans, dated 9/16/1937; Copy of Deed of Gift (8/19/1982) by Evelyn M. Evans, et al to Herman Drinkwater, et al, Trustees of the Roanoke Island Baptist Church, of a plot of land adjoining the church; Copy of Deed of Gift (1/9/1991) by Charles D. Evans and wife, et al to Roanoke Island Baptist Church, of a plot of land adjoining the church. 4 Items. Note: To be digitized by agreement with donor.
    Printed Material of The Roanoke Island Baptist Record Newsletter (3/26/1944); and a Newspaper Clipping regarding church construction (1986); 2 Item.
    Ledger Book (1888-1933) 1 Item.
    Ledger Book (1948-1954) 1 Item.
    Ledger Book (1958-1977) 1 Item.
    Women's Missionary Society Journal (1953-1956) 1 Item.
    Treasurer Reports Ledger (1953-1968) 1 Item.
    Treasurer Reports Ledger (1959-1964) 1 Item.
    Treasurer Reports Ledger (1964-1968) 1 Item.
    Guest Book (1959-1965) used for Homecoming events. 1 Item.
    Spiral Notebook (1956-1957) containing financial information 1 Item.

This page is only for requesting materials that you wish to view in person in the Reading Room at Joyner Library. It does not permit you to view the materials online or to request their photoduplication. If you would like to request materials for photoduplication, please visit our Copying and Permissions page.

Use the checkboxes to select the boxes/folders you would like to view, then click continue at the bottom of the page.




Container List

  • Box 1
     
    Correspondence (10/20/1937) regarding churches receiving pastoral aid from the General Board of the Baptist State Convention; (2/25/1940) resignation letter from C.C. Perry; and a brief biographical sketch (12/21/1982) of Abraham Baum accompanied by a copy of an 1808 Deed of Sale. 3 Items.
    History (ca. 1988; ca. 1995) 2 Items.
    Copy of Deed (11/24/1926) for property sold by C.P. Midgett to C.R. Evans showing a one acre plot of land owned by North End Baptist Church; a Certifified Copy of Deed (7/22/1938) of C.P. Midgett and wife to C.R. Evans, dated 9/16/1937; Copy of Deed of Gift (8/19/1982) by Evelyn M. Evans, et al to Herman Drinkwater, et al, Trustees of the Roanoke Island Baptist Church, of a plot of land adjoining the church; Copy of Deed of Gift (1/9/1991) by Charles D. Evans and wife, et al to Roanoke Island Baptist Church, of a plot of land adjoining the church. 4 Items. Note: To be digitized by agreement with donor.
    Printed Material of The Roanoke Island Baptist Record Newsletter (3/26/1944); and a Newspaper Clipping regarding church construction (1986); 2 Item.
    Ledger Book (1888-1933) 1 Item.
    Ledger Book (1948-1954) 1 Item.
    Ledger Book (1958-1977) 1 Item.
    Women's Missionary Society Journal (1953-1956) 1 Item.
    Treasurer Reports Ledger (1953-1968) 1 Item.
    Treasurer Reports Ledger (1959-1964) 1 Item.
    Treasurer Reports Ledger (1964-1968) 1 Item.
    Guest Book (1959-1965) used for Homecoming events. 1 Item.
    Spiral Notebook (1956-1957) containing financial information 1 Item.


Once you have selected all of the boxes/folders you would like to view, click