Built in 1885 by J. Erwin Calloway and author Shepherd M. Dugger, the Grandfather Hotel burned to the ground in 1912. Few remember the hotel that stood at the base of Grandfather Mountain. The hotel was owned and operated by Calloway and his wife, Texie, until 1909, after which it was used as a private residence. Shepherd wrote about the hotel in his unpublished autobiography. After the hotel burned, Texie built a the Calloway Inn which she ran for many years.