In 1847, plantation owner John Haughton had his slaves build St. Mark's chapel on his property in Chatham County. Haughton moved from Tyrrell County to Chatham County in 1837 and bought all of the land that is the present-day town of Gulf. A funeral in 1934 was the last service conducted in the church while it was in the town of Gulf. St Mark's was moved to Siler City and reconsecrated in 1957. A small white church, St Mark's was moved to Raleigh's Mordecai Historic Park in 1980 where it remains today.