The Grove Arcade in Asheville, completed in 1929, is the biggest commercial building in western North Carolina and fills an entire city block. Developed by Edwin Wiley Grove, the Grove Arcade is an architectural treasure and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. During World War II, the Federal Government took over the building and evicted all the tenants. Later, it was boarded up and used to house government documents. Through the efforts of the Grove Arcade Public Market Foundation, the Grove Arcade underwent historical renovations, reopening in 2002. Currently about fifty diverse businesses operate there.