NCPI Workmark
Articles in regional publications that pertain to a wide range of North Carolina-related topics.

A Beauty Spot In Downtown Concord

Record #:
In 1804, on Spring Street in Concord, the first Presbyterians built a forty-foot-long log cabin church in the shape of a cross. The church is gone now and the cemetery remained in poor condition until 1930, when Mrs. Sallie Phifer Williamson and landscape architect Clarence Leeman of Charlotte transformed it into a memorial garden, for Presbyterians and their slaves buried there. Its beautiful stone pathways, terraces, fountains, pools, and little statues in unexpected places keep visitors coming in all seasons. The garden draws thousands of visitors each year with its flowering trees and plants indigenous to North Carolina.
The State (NoCar F 251 S77), Vol. 53 Issue 10, Mar 1986, p8-9, por