Two-and-a-half centuries ago, colonial settlers in North Carolina held legislatively authorized lotteries. The first held in 1759, raised 450 English pounds for construction of two Anglican churches. After the Revolutionary War, lotteries became a popular method for funding projects of all types. High-priority projects were internal improvements including waterways, bridges, canals, roads, and railroads. The University of North Carolina built South Building with money raised through 1801 legislation. Various county projects included a marine hospital, a poorhouse in Brunswick County, and a water system for Fayetteville in Cumberland County.