Strong storms of the late 1800s and the high winds and flooding of the Great Storm of 1898 drove residents of Shackleford Banks from their homes forever. Survivors migrated to Morehead City, Harkers Island, or Bogue Banks, where some built new homes and continued their community traditions. Some brought their houses with them, floating them from Shackleford Banks on sail skiffs, rafts, and other modes of water transportation. Today some of these moved structures stand in a section of Morehead City called Promise Land. The historic buildings are identified by markers from the Carteret County Historical Association.