Without the efforts of Sally Phifer Williamson, Concord's Memorial Garden might have been lost. In 1930, she discovered the three-acre garden, originally the First Presbyterian Church's graveyard, in a terrible state of disrepair. Williamson had the area cleaned up before her death in 1937. Her son watched over the garden for the next twenty-nine years and left a one-million-dollar endowment for its upkeep. There are over 300 graves there amid 16,000 tulips and 120 varieties of azaleas.