Known as Company Shops until the railroads left in 1886, the town changed its name to Burlington. The economy next depended on textiles with the Glencoe Mill, 1880-1954, and Burlington Industries since 1923. Family businesses are old, some dating back to 1910. The nostalgic can find historic sites, including a 1910 carousal. The town is also home to Elon College. Burlington experienced a 12 percent population growth in the 1990s to 44,000; location between the Research Triangle and the Piedmont Triad was a contributing factor.