NCPI Workmark
Articles in regional publications that pertain to a wide range of North Carolina-related topics.

Saving the Past

Record #:
The Hunting Quarters Primitive Baptist Church was first organized in Hunting Quarters Township in 1829. Constructed at Nelson Bay, the Meeting House welcomed members of the Congregation from Portsmouth Island, Cedar Island, Atlantic, and Davis Shore. Following the Civil War, the community relocated to the town of Atlantic. When the building was destroyed in 1918 by a tornado, it was rebuilt further down the road. The congregation continued to meet until the 1960s, however it was a community in decline. In 2006, the Meeting House remained in poor condition. Thanks to efforts from local historians and community members, however, the structure has been repaired and is currently used for history meetings.
The Researcher (NoCar F 262 C23 R47), Vol. 23 Issue 2, Fall-Winter 2007-2008, p5-6, il