NCPI Workmark
Articles in regional publications that pertain to a wide range of North Carolina-related topics.

The Beaufort Community Center

Record #:
Established through a Works Progress Administration (WPA) Project, the Beaufort Community Center was constructed in 1936 for recreational use. While the center facilitated use of the associated tennis courts and golf course, it took on an administrative role when the WPA moved their administrative offices onto the property in 1939. During the Second World War, soldiers camped on the property while the center hosted dances to support the war effort. The U.S. Coast Guard purchased the property in 1943 and used the center as a barracks and communications facility through the end of the war. Following a fire at the local school in 1945, the community center again transformed to meet community need and served as a temporary school for the next two years. In 1950, the Beaufort community Center was destroyed by fire and the land was turned over to the town.
The Researcher (NoCar F 262 C23 R47), Vol. 19 Issue 1, Spring 2003, p3-5, il