Carteret County’s first golf course opened in Beaufort in June 1937. Part of a Works Progress Administration project, the course was constructed to boost tourism. A club house accompanied the 9-hole course and was used for socializing. Membership fees were set at $18/year. In 1941, a lookout tower was constructed on the course to serve as an observation post. Additional rail tracks were placed on the course to assist with chemical transport associated with the war effort. The author attributes World War II to the decline and eventual closure of the course.