Many buildings downtown in Greenville once contained a number of prominent retailers. A site on Fifth Street first held the Glascow Evans Livery stable in 1890. Other companies used the same site, but the first major company to lease the building was Montgomery Ward in 1928. In 1932, Quinn-Miller Furniture moved in, then Belk-Tyler in 1938. Today, the building houses Crossbones Tavern and apartments.