In 1914 the NC General Assembly authorized the establishment of the “Recorders Court of Pitt County,” after petitions from lawyers and judges to them for speeding up trials for misdemeanor cases. After the establishment of the new Recorders Court, it took over civil cases that were formerly tried by jury in Superior Court. The first cases were tried in Pitt County Recorder’s Court on Apr. 12, 1914 with Frank M. Wooten (1875-1941) first judge of the court. The next judges included Lewis Ginter Cooper (1891-1963); William Lipscombe Whedbee (1904-1977); and Dink James (1901-1985).