A proposal to build a plank road began in the 1850s to link Greenville to Raleigh in order to bring Greenville out of economic isolation. Stock shares sold for $25.00 and raising $33,000.00 for the new road. Slaves began construction began in 1851 and slave-owners paid $12.50 for use of slaves. In 1853, the road to Wilson, completed at a cost of $1,453.00 per mile, roughly followed the same path as Highway 264. Two villages, Marlboro and Walshville, developed because of the road.