In 1877, the Episcopal men of Raleigh founded a philanthropic organization called St. John's Guild. The organization existed to facilitate charitable works and provide a means of social activity for members. The group was very active in Raleigh, establishing a library, reading room and a hospital. Local Episcopal clergy, in addition to several citizens contributed greatly to the charitable works of the organization. The guild ceased to exist in 1893 as the time and funds needed to run the organization were lacking from members.