One of North Carolina's most well-known country preachers was Elder Pleasant D. Gold, who was born in Rutherford County in 1833. He was educated at Furman University and trained for the law; however, he abandoned it for the ministry. He became a minister in the Missionary Baptist Church but later decided that the Primitive Baptist Church suited him better. He founded ZION'S LANDMARK in Wilson in 1867 and published it for over fifty years. He was also pastor of the local church in Wilson for over fifty years.