Access to articles in regional publications that pertain to a wide range of North Carolina-related topics.

Finding Gold in the Hills


Author(s):
Abstract:
The Mast General Store was opened for business in Valle Crucis in 1883 by Henry Taylor, who later sold a half interest in the store to W.W. Mast in 1897. The store closed in 1977. John and Faye Cooper, who were attracted to the site in 1976, purchased it. Friends thought they were crazy, but the Coopers resurrected it and turned it into a multimillion dollar business that employs sixty-five people. The store is treasured by locals and visitors for its mix of the old and the new.
Source:
Record #:
15573