Linville Caverns lie below Humpack Mountain between Marion and Linville. It opened formally in 1939 by Mr. and Mrs. E. S. Collins who leased the property. The couple installed electric lights and hired guides to make the caverns accessible to the public. Historically the caverns were used for more than tourism. During the Civil War, Confederate soldiers deserting the army hid out in the cavern. Slaves would meet in the caverns to sing and dance in the safety of the caves.