In Fayetteville, the First Presbyterian Church stood as an outstanding example of colonial era architecture. It was founded in 1755 by James Campbell of Scotland but construction was delayed until 1810. A fire struck in 1831, burning everything but the thick brick walls. It was rebuilt on the same foundation and functioned throughout the Civil War. Hobart Upjohn restored the church in 1922 and was continually maintained through the 1940s by W. W. Fuller and his family.