The Rock House
Colonel Jack Martin, a hero of the Revolutionary War and one of the two first settlers in Stokes County, built one of the most interesting houses there. Known as the Rock House, its foundation was laid in 1770. It was a huge undertaking. Built on a knoll, the house stood four stories, and the walls were three feet thick. Though the house is in ruins today, it still attracts thousands of visitors annually.