East Carolina Logo

St. Thomas Church, ca. 1890

Notes:
The following photographs were taken by local Bath photographer Thomas R. Draper soon after he set up shop in Bath around 1890. As written alongside the photograph and penned-in on the stone above the door, construction on the church began in 1734, though it wasn’t completed until 1735. At some point, there was probably a wooden tower or steeple was attached to the front of the building, but it collapsed during a storm sometime in the mid-nineteenth century. This picture shows St. Thomas Church very much as it would have been when Mary Laughinghouse described it in her 1892 diary entry.

Image(s) from Photograph
Image of Photograph:
Higher Resolution Image

Image(s) from Photograph
Image of Photograph:
Higher Resolution Image



Location: Special Collections, Joyner Library, East Carolina University
Call Number: William Blount Rodman Papers, #329.168
Collection: William Blount Rodman Papers


East Carolina University Logo Contact Us
Joyner Library
East Carolina University
East Fifth Street
Greenville, NC 27858-4353 USA
252.328.6518