DEFENGE OF FORT. WAGNER. MORRIS ISLAND, 8 JULY, 1863. By E. K. BRYAN, Apsurant, anp E. H. MEADOWS, Serezant Co. K. Tuirty-First N. C. REGIMENT. The following sketch has been prepared largely from report of Major Robert C. Gilchrist, together with the personal rec- ollection of the writers, who were participants. BATTERY WAGNER, S. C. Skirting along ship channel, the main entrance into Charleston harbor, and commanding the only approach for large vessels to the city, is Morris Island, forever prominent in the history of the United States for being the site of the battery that fired the first shot in the war between the States ; still later for giving to the world its first lesson in iron-clad armor, and more than all, for being the theatre of a defence of an earthwork more stubborn and grave, of a siege as mem- orable and bombardments the most formidable in the annals of war. This island is three and three-fourth miles long, and varies in width from twenty-five to one thousand yards. At its northern extremity it is flat, and with the exception of a low line of sand hills is only two feet above high tide. At the northern extremity (Cumming’s Point) was situated Battery Gregg. The marsh on the west, at a point about three- fourths of a mile from Gregg encroached upon the sea face of the island leaving a narrow strip of 250 yards. At this point was located the famed Fort Wagner. The island is composed of quartz sand, which has no cohesion and weighs when dry 86 pounds per cubic foot. To its power in resisting the penetration of shot and when displaced of falling back again to the very spot it had occupied, is due the comparative invulnerability of the works erected on the island, advanta- geous alike to its defenders and assailants. It is distant from di