SALISBUKY FRISON. By CHAPLAIN A. W. MANGUM, SixtH Reement N. C. T. On 19 February, 1839, a few of the enterprising, public- spirited and wealthy citizens of Salisbury, N. C., and the vicinity resolved to establish in the town a large steam cot- ton factory. On 4 April following the company was organ- ized and applied themselves with energy to their commend- able enterprise. The establishment was located in the beau- tiful oak grove that bordered the town on the south. The company secured about sixteen acres of the surrounding grounds. It was not long before the grove was vocal with the lively buzz and rattle of the machinery and the cheerful song and laughter of the busy factory boys and girls. Those were the haleyon days of peace and the daily picture in the grove was as full of beauty and pleasure as it was of labor and life. A few years passed in that way, when the factory was closed, the company dissolved and finally the property passed into the hands of the trustees of Davidson College. Again after a season, the solitude and stillness of the place were cheerily disturbed by a school of happy, hopeful boys. THE FACTORY BECOMES A PRISON. By a deed bearing date of 2 November, 1861, the old fac- tory lot and buildings were conveyed to the Confederate States, and were fitted up and used during the four years of war as a prison for Confederates under sentence of court- martial, and those arrested for alleged disloyalty, for desert- ers from the Federal army and for prisoners of war. Norr.—Rev. A. W. Mangum was one of the most talented ministers of the Methodist Church in this State and a most loveable man. He died in May. 1890 while Professor of English Literature at the University of North Carolina, which chair he had filled since 1885 He was a cousin of Senator W. P. Mangum. His church and State may well lay a wreath of immortelles’on the grave of one whose life reflected honor on both. —Ep.