624 Norta Caroiina Troops, 1861-’65. Second North Carolina Hospital in Petersburg with Surgeon W. C. Warren in charge, and Drs. W. H. Hall and W. A. Norcom Assistant Surgeons. These hospitals were furnished with the best of everything that could be obtained and were for the North Carolina troops. Each hospital could ae- commodate about two hundred and fifty patients. When the first hospital was opened, three ladies who, with others, had volunteered their services, were selected as head nurses. These ladies were Mrs. Kennedy, of Wilmington; Miss M. L. Pettigrew, of Raleigh, and Mrs. Beasley, of Ply- mouth. Dr. Johnson also established a hospital in Richmond with Surgeon O. F. Manson in charge, in the Spring of 1862. This was a hospital, home and supply store, for the troops. Wayside Hospitals for the reception and care of the sick and wounded soldiers, on their way home and return to the army were established in the summer of 1862 at Weldon, Goldsboro, Tarboro, Raleigh, Salisbury and Charlotte. These were continued until replaced by General Hospitals in Sep- tember, 1862, when all of the North Carolina Hospitals in Virginia and North Carolina, by an agreement between Gov- ernor Olark and the Secretary of War, were turned over to the Confederate States, with all the furniture and equipment of every kind. Having turned over all the Hospitals and hospital supplies to the Confederate States, Surgeon-General Johnson resigned 13 September, 1862. While Surgeon-General, Dr. Johnson with a corps of assistants, visited every battle field in Virginia, taking with him medicines and supplies of every kind for the sick and wounded soldiers. He was devoted to the care, the relief and welfare of the soldiers during his term of office. He had made the best arrangements in hospitals and out of them for the care and treatment of the soldiers, better than had been done by any other State. He resigned because in his judgment there was nothing more for him to do. Soon after the inauguration of Governor Vance, Septem- ber, 1862, he appointed Surgeon Edward Warren Surgeon- General, and he served until the end of the war, in April, 1865, at the suggestion of Adjutant-General J. G. Martin. THE Mepicat Corps. 625 Governor Vance in behalf of the State, to obtain medical and surgical supplies, and clothes, shoes and food for the sol- diers and such tools and articles as were absolutely needed by the people, inaugurated a system of running the blockade be- tween Wilmington and Bermuda. By this arrangement he was enabled to get the supplies needed for the soldiers and keep them better clothed and supplied than the soldiers of any other State; also articles necessary for the cotton and woolen manufactories to keep them running and hand ecards for the good women, to enable them to continue their good work of spinning and weaving cloth for their own families and some for the soldiers. This was a very great blessing to the sol- diers, as well as to the citizens of the State. The Confederate Government had established General Hos- pitals, one at Wilson, one at Goldsboro and two at Wilming- ton during the Spring and Summer of 1862. During the Win- ter of 1862 and 1863 the Confederate Congress passed a law authorizing the establishment of General Hospital Districts in each State; each State being a district, and the appoint- ment of a Medical Director of General Hospitals in each State. Surgeon Covey was appointed Medical Director of the hos- pitals in North Carolina in the Spring of 1863, and had charge of them until September of the same year, when he was relieved by Surgeon P. E. Hines, by order of the Sec- retary of War. When Dr. Covey was relieved, he did not leave even a memorandum of anything concerning the hospi- tals, not even the names or where located, or their number. Surgeon Hines soon ascertained that there were two Gen- eral Hospitals in Raleigh, Surgeons E. Burke Haywood and Thomas H. Hill being the Surgeons in charge; one at Wil- son, Surgeon 8. S. Satchwell in charge; and one at Goldsboro, Surgeon John F. Hill in charge; two at Wilmington, Sur geons T. R. Micks and J. C. Walker in charge; a Wayside Hospital at Weldon, one at Goldsboro, one at Tarboro, Sur- geon J. W. Jones in charge; one at Salisbury, with Dr. M. Whitehead in charge, and a hospital in the prison there with Surgeon J. W. Hall in charge. It was thought that a Gen- eral Hospital was also being built there, which proved to be 40