292 Norra Carotina Troops, 1861-’65. mand of General Wolford. Lieutenant Garrett, in command of what used to be Company A of the Fifth Battalion, with a detachment from other companies composing the old Fifth Battalion, was sent forward to locate the enemy, supposed to be posted on a different road than that along which the main column was marching. It was soon discovered that the en- emy was posted on the main route in front of the Confederate forces. The Confederates immediately charged and routed the enemy which made an effort to escape by ie other road, and in so doing got between Lieutenant Garrett s detachment and the Confederate column. Upon discovering the situa- tion the little detachment turned upon the enemy when : bloody fight ensued in which many were killed and wounde on both sides. In this fight Lieutenant Garrett s horse was killed and himself captured. He remained in prison on Johnson’s Island until the close of the war. What was left of the old Fifth Battalion followed the Sixt y-fifth Regiment into Eastern North Carolina, where they remained until dis: banded at the close of the war. In concluding this narrative of the battalion it is a source of regret that T am not able to award to each officer and private soldier his full meed of merit, but I will say that no braver band of soldiers ever be- strode a steed or drew a saber on any battlefield in any cause, than those who fought in the Fifth North Carolina Battalion of Cavalry. Virer. 8. Lusk. AsnEvittez, N. C., 26 April, 1901. Aspro 2 ENON PRN Y RETR IIA BALIN RH TET MORI pRSee Tet SIXTH BATTALION. (ARMORY GUARDS. ) By M. P. TAYLOR, Major. The Sixth Battalion or “Armory Guard,” was stationed at the Fayetteville arsenal and armory during the war be- tween the States. It consisted of seven companies. THE ARSENAL. It may be well to give a brief sketch of the Fayetteville arsenal and armory as a matter of historical record, touching the construction of the various buildings, as there is not a vestige of them left, having been totally destroyed by General Sherman on his famous march through the Carolinas. The Fayetteville arsenal and armory were located on what is known as “Haymount,” which overlooks the historic old city of Fayetteville. They were constructed by the United States Government previous to the war, under the immediate super- vision of Mr. William Bell as architect, but in charge of vari- ous army officers of high distinction as commandants of the post. It was one of the loveliest spots anywhere in the South, and was very often visited by strangers from various States and greatly admired. Conspicuous octagonal high brick and stone towers were located at the four corners of the enclosure, while symmetrical walls and massive iron railing and heavy iron gates surrounded the premises. Handsome two-story brick and stone buildings for officers’ quarters and the accom- modation of the troops adorned the front and sides, while in the centre, rear and both sides were large, commodious buildings used for the storing of small arms, fixed ammuni- tion, commissary and quartermaster supplies. In the centre Norg.—This Battalion though numbered ‘‘Sixth’’ in Moore’s Roster was never thus officially designated, but was styled the “Armory Guards.” There was a Battalion officially designated as the Sizth Battalion which was increased and became the Sixtieth Regiment. There was another Sixth Battalion (Reserves) which became part of the Seventieth Reg- iment —Ep.