642 Chronicles of the Cape Fear River and religious work for the colored people. The building used for this purpose is located on Nixon Street, and the work is in charge of Rev. Otto Richert. The Lutheran Churches in Wilmington constitute the only congregations of that denomination within a radius of 150 miles. Roman Catuoric CHURCH. The Catholics of Wilmington are particularly fortunate in the building designated as St. Mary’s Pro-Cathedral. A beauti- ful structure, of the Spanish Renaissance, located at Ann Street and Fifth Avenue, one of the most attractive spots in Wilming- ton, marks the successful growth of the mustard seed as far as this congregation is concerned. The congregation of St. Mary’s Pro-Cathedral was originally under the title of St. Thomas. Under this title Rev. Thomas Murphy was appointed pastor on January 1, 1845, by the Rt. Rev. Dr. Reynolds, bishop of Charleston, S.C. Father Murphy immediately entered upon his duties, with the zeal and energy characteristic of his race. He gathered about him the few of his members residing in Wilmington, and rented a small room to conduct their worship. An extract from the church records, in Father Murphy’s handwriting, may be of interest: | “The number of Catholics, at the above date (January 1, 1845) did not exceed forty persons. A small room which was used as a chapel, was rented for $40 per annum. On the first of November, 1845, a suitable lot for the erection of a church was purchased for the sum of $797, by three individuals, viz. : Dr. William A. Berry, Bernard Baxter, and Miss Catherine McKoy. A subscription list was then opened, and the mem- bers subscribed liberally according to their means.” The lot referred to is on Dock Street, between Second and Third Streets, now used as a church for colored Catholics. It may be noted from Father Murphy’s appointment, that the Catholics of North Carolina were under the jurisdiction of the bishop of Charleston, S. C. In 1868 the State was given separate spiritual jurisdiction, and James Gibbons (later, Car- dinal Gibbons, of Baltimore) became the vicar apostolic. . Dur- ing his short administration, Bishop Gibbons saw with satisfac- tion the rapid growth of his congregation. He immediately set about securing other places in the city for the erection of schools. The property at Third and Dock was secured for additional Peace Restored 643 church room. He next purchased the site bounded by Fourth, Fifth, and Ann Streets. In reference to this, we find the fol- lowing in the church records: “September 20, 1869. The Rt. Rev. Bishop Gibbons suc- ceeded in founding in Wilmington city a convent of the Sisters of our Lady of Mercy. The establishment opened with only three sisters—Mother Augustine, Sister Charles, and Sister Mary Baptist. This is the first in North Carolina, and the latest foundation in the States, of the good sisters who came from the Charleston community as established by Dr. England.” Pioneer work of this character is always interesting. Like all the other religious bodies, the Catholic Church progressed with the growth of the population. In later years, when it be- came evident that Wilmington would grow towards the east and the south, the Catholic congregation became desirous of select- ing a more suitable site for the erection of a cathedral church. Rt. Rev. Leo Haid, the present vicar apostolic, decided that Fifth and Ann Streets was the most attractive location. Ground was broken for the new structure May 20, 1908. The corner- stone was laid with great solemnity October 21, 1909. The solemn dedication occurred April 28, 1912. This was an im- portant event for the city as well as for the Catholics. Their first vicar apostolic, Cardinal Gibbons, returned to Wilmington for this ceremony. Though raised to high dignity in his church, he has never forgotten Wilmington and has never lost inter- est in her welfare. His visit on that occasion was not only that of a bishop to his flock, but as a former citizen to view again the scene of his first labors. The day after the solemn dedication, a reception was tendered Cardinal Gibbons at the home of Maj. D. O’Connor. Thousands visited him on that occasion to renew their earlier acquaintance. From the small beginning in 1845, we have now a building that is an adornment to the city; a beautiful structure of ma- Sonry work alone—no nails, no wood, but brick, cement, stone, and tile, all constructed under the supervision of Rev. Patrick Marion, of Asheville—a monument to his ability and genius. TEMPLE OF ISRAEL. The month of November, 1872, witnessed the organization of the first regular Jewish congregation in North Carolina, and at that time was inaugurated the movement which resulted in