640 Chronicles of the Cape Fear Rwer Before 1858 Wilmington had developed a considerable German population, immigrants who had come from Germany in the course of a period of several years. They worshiped principally with the congregation of the First Presbyterian Church, and their children attended the Sunday-school of that church, but some of them joined in the worship of other churches of the city. In the year mentioned they decided that the time had come for the organization of a Lutheran church, such as they had been accustomed to in the Fatherland. Accord- ingly, Rev. J. A. Linn and Rev. G. D. Bernheim, of the Synod of North Carolina, were invited to aid in the necessary steps leading to the organization of the church. The number who signified their desire to form a Lutheran Church was nearly three score persons ; and they became enthusi- astically interested in plans for providing a place of worship of their own. Meantime, at a congregational meeting, the Rev. John H. Mengert, D.D., who had labored with great success in the mission field of India and in the city of Baltimore, was called as first pastor of the church, and began his pastorate on December 23, 1858. He was a man of scholarly attainments and deep piety, and his devoted ministry made a lasting impres- sion upon the Lutherans of the city. The complete organization of the church, which was to be known as St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, was made on January 6, 1859, in the building of the First Presbyterian Church, which at that time was located on Front Street between Dock and Orange. At first the congregation worshiped in the Presbyterian Church, but later found it desirable to secure another place of worship, and the vestry house of St. James’s Protestant Episcopal Church was rented and repaired for their use. The present location of St. Paul’s Church was purchased in 1859, and the interest of the congregation was greatly stimu- lated thereby. At that time a constitution for the church was adopted, and bore the signature of seventy-two persons. Dr. Mengert’s pastorate continued for three years and a half. During its latter part the life of the church was greatly im- paired by the war and also by the yellow fever epidemic in 1862. Meantime, however, a handsome church structure had been erected. After the capture of Wilmington in 1865, the Federal mili- tary authorities occupied the church building. This necessi- tated considerable repairs. Peace Restored 641 After Dr. Mengert left, there was a vacancy in the pastorate for about six years, when the Rev. G. D. Bernheim, D.D., was invited to take charge of the church. He accepted the call, and for eleven years was an efficient and devoted pastor. The church greatly prospered under his ministry. Rey. F. W. E. Peschau, D.D., was the third pastor, and served the church for several years. He was very successful in his religious work among the seamen visiting the port who spoke the German and Scandinavian languages. He was suc- ceeded after an intermission of about eight months by the Rev. | K, Boldt, D.D. Dr. Boldt introduced the common liturgical Service in the church. His pastorate continued for four years. The fifth pastor was Rev. A. G. Voigt, D.D., formerly pro- fessor of theology in the Lutheran College at Newberry, 8. C. Under his ministry the resources of the congregation were largely developed. After the resignation of Dr. Voigt, the Rev. W. A. Snyder, D.D., was called to be the sixth pastor. For eight years he served the church with great efficiency. He was succeeded by the present pastor, Rev. F. B. Clausen, under whose leadership the congregation of St. Paul’s is in a most prosperous condi- tion. The church now ranks among the leading congregations of the United Synod in the South in liberality and service. Sr. Marrurw’s LUTHERAN CHURCH. St. Matthew’s English Evangelical Lutheran Church, situated on North Fourth Street, was organized on March 14, 1892, by the Rey. F. W. E. Peschau, D.D., pastor of St. Paul’s Church. Prior to that time a successful Sunday-school had been main- tained by the members of St. Paul’s and, in consequence of its work, the organization of St. Matthew’s Church was easily effected. Its several pastors have been devoted ministers, and the church has been a great spiritual blessing to the people of its locality. The following have served as pastors: Rev. G. D. Bernheim, D.D., Rev. C. R. Kegley, Rev. G. S. Bearden, Rev. H. E. Beatty, and the present pastor, Rev. G. W. McClanahan. Under the present pastorate the church is enjoying a healthy growth and bright prospects for the future. In the northern part of the city, the Synodical Conference of the Evangelical Lutheran Church has just begun an educational 41