636 Chronicles of the Cape Fear Rwer A second pastorate was begun by Rev. Mr. Repiton, October 26, 1843, and continued to October, 1844. This pastorate and the two succeeding were uneventful. Rev. James McDaniel served from October, 1844, to October, 1852. Rev. W. H. Jordan served from October, 1852, to September, 1855. With the com- ing of Rev. John L. Pritchard to the pastorate in January, 1856, the church took on new life. From the first the congre- gation had been worshiping in a frame building on Front Street, between Ann and Nun, overlooking the Cape Fear River. A lot was now purchased on Fifth and Market Streets, at a cost of $4,500, and an effort was made to raise money for a new building, $10,075 being realized. On February 16, 1857, a resolution was passed by the church, determining to erect a new building within two years, and the work was begun. Dr. Pritchard worked untiringly in behalf of the church and com- munity. During the yellow fever scourge, he, the Rev. A. Paul Repiton, the Catholic priest, and the Episcopal rector, were the only ministers who did not become refugees. ‘These all, except Mr. Repiton, died from this plague, and a monument was erected by the citizens of Wilmington in Oakdale Cemetery to the memory of Dr. Pritchard. Rev. W. M. Young succeeded Dr. Pritchard in the pastorate. The building enterprise was hindered by the war. The house in which the congregation was worshiping was very unsatisfactory and the mayor of the city offered the City Hall for their use. This offer was accepted. It was at this time that the colored members of the church asked permission to hold regular wor- ship to themselves, and to employ a minister at their own cost to preach to them, but to remain under the authority and gov- ernment of the First Baptist Church. This request was granted. Rev. Mr. Young later resigned the pastorate, and in October, 1868, Rev. J. C. Heiden was called to become pastor. He con- tinued with the church until April, 1875. The new church building was completed in April, 1870, and was dedicated, on the first Sunday in May of that year, Dr. E. T. Winklen, of Charleston, 8S. C., preaching the dedicatory sermon. A small band desired to form another congregation, and April 3, 1871, a committee was appointed to secure a place in Brooklyn for holding services. They secured Brooklyn Hall, and began there a branch of the First Church. The present Calvary Baptist Church is the outcome of this enterprise. Rev. James B. Taylor became pastor in December, 1875, and Peace Restored 637 continued to serve the church until 1883. It was during this pastorate that the church saw the culmination of their building enterprise. While the building had been in use for some years, there was a heavy debt on it of $11,000. By hard work, Dr. Taylor had the amount reduced to $6,000, and arrangements were made to wipe out the entire indebtedness. On the day set for raising the money, enthusiasm ran high, the people gave gladly and liberally, and by one o’clock, the entire amount had been raised, and the church was prepared to pay every cent it owed. Rev. Thomas H. Pritchard succeeded Dr. Taylor in the pas- torate in September, 1883, and remained the pastor until Janu- ary, 1892. On April 4, 1887, the church passed a resolution to the effect that the imperative demands of the Sunday-school for more suitable accommodations were such that the church should not longer delay to erect a lecture-room, which, when done, would complete the original design of the church building. Work on this addition was begun in 1890. At the same time, a handsome pipe organ, valued at about $7,000, was installed. Rev. W. B. Oliver was pastor from March, 1893, to November, 1897. Rev. C. S. Blackwell became pastor of the First Church October, 1898, and remained in this office until March, 1903. Rev. Fred D. Hale’s pastorate extended from March, 1904, to June, 1909. The period of Dr. Hale’s ministry was marked by many progressive steps. Many church improvements were made, including the building of several organized class-rooms for the Sunday-school. The membership of the church grew very rapidly. During the five and one-fourth years that Dr. Hale served as pastor, there were 719 additions, an average of 132 a year. Rev. J. H. Foster became pastor in October, 1909, and con- tinued with the church until June, 1915, when he resigned the work here to become president of the Bessie Tift College, of Forsyth, Ga. This pastorate was marked above other things by an expansive policy. Work was carried on at Castle Haynes, Farmers, Winter Park, and Delgado. At the last two named places, suitable and attractive church buildings were erected. Winter Park has now become an independent church. For a while, Miss Nettie King served as city missionary. Rev. M. C. Alexander was called as assistant pastor on January 1, 1911, and continued in this office until he resigned to resume his studies in the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Rev.